Announcement by Chiang Mai University
Application for Admission to the International and Bilingual Undergraduate Programs
for the 2019 Academic Year
Chiang Mai University is now accepting applications for Chiang Mai University’s International and Bilingual Programs for the 2019 academic year.
The international programs that are open for admission are:
- Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (SE)
The bilingual programs that are open for admission are:
- Bachelor of Science in Animation and Game (ANI)
- Bachelor of Science in Modern Management and Information Technology (MMIT)
Note: For international students in bilingual programs, English is the used as the medium in all courses.
- Thai applicants who are currently studying in or graduated with Mattayom Suksa 6
certificate are eligible to apply for all programs except ANI, MMIT.
- Thai applicants who have graduated from an international program or from abroad or have a foreign high school equivalency certificateare eligible to apply for all programs.
- Non-Thai applicants who have graduated from an overseas institution with high school equivalency certificate to apply for all programs.
Applications must be made through the International Program Admission System (IPAS) which provides two Tracks for applicants:
Track 1: For applicants who are able to take the internal examinations for specialized subjects and the CMU-English placement test at a designated test center.
Track 2: For applicants who are unable to take the internal examinations at CMU test centers but can provide results of their standardized examinations for English (see item 2 below) and the specialized subjects (see item 3.4.2 below). This Track is available for all programs.
1. GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS
- 1Applicants must have no record of serious misconduct and agree to strictly follow the rules and regulations of the university.
- 2Applicants must not have a serious contagious disease or any disease that will obstruct their studies.
2. ENGLISH PROFICIENCY QUALIFICATION
2.1 Applicants who are Native English Speakers and from a country where English is an official language can exempted from the English Proficiency requirement, but will still be required to take entrance examinations as specified by individual program.
2.2 Applicants who are Non-Native English Speakers or from a country where English is not an official language must submit one of the following English Language Standard Certificates with a minimum score required by their selected programs as listed in the following table:
|ANI, MMIT, SE||
1) Applicants who do not have one of the Standard English Language Certificates indicated above MUST take the CMU-English Placement Test. The test will be held on the same day as the examination for specialized subjects. Test fees must be paid with the application fee.
2) TOEFL ITP Test must be conducted by institution or center accredited by the Institute of International Education (IIE).
3. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS
3.1 Students who are studying in or graduated from the Thai educational system are with
- Mattayom Suksa diploma are eligible to apply for SE.
Students are required to have the latest minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) (5 semesters for those who are studying and 6 semesters for those who already graduated) as follows:
- No minimum requirement for ANI and MMIT.
- Minimum of 2.5 for the 1st Intake, and no minimum are required for the 2nd and 3rd Intake for SE.
- 3.2 Students who have Standard Certifications that are equivalent to MattayomSuksa6, the Thailand’s High School Diploma.
- Students who have graduated from an international school in Thailand and have an equivalency certificate issued by the Thai Ministry of Education.
- Students who have graduated from an overseas institution and have an equivalency certificate and accredited by the Ministry of Education.
- Applicants who submit an old GED (tested before May 2017) must pass all 5 subjects. Each subject must be passed with a minimum score of 410 and a minimum total score of 2,250, for a new GED (tested from May 2017 onward) must pass all 4 subjects. Each subject must be passed with a minimum score of 145 per subject.
- Applicants who have results ofIGCSE, GCSE“O” level of 5 subjects with a minimum grade of C.
4.1) For applicants who took the test in or before 2016 are required to have GCE ‘AS’ of 5 subjects (or more) with a grade from A to E, or GCE ‘A’ level of 3 subjects (ormore) with a grade from A* to E.
4.2) For applicants who took the test from 2017 onward, the 5 subjects above must
be all distinct, and must have GCE ‘AS’ of 3 subjects (or more) with minimum grade of C, or GCE „A‟ level of 3 subjects (or more) with minimum grade of C.
- Applicants whosubmit New Zealand National Certificate (NCEA) which is under the New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA),must have aminimum of 80 credits, which consist of :
- - Subjects in level 2 or higher, not less than 60 credits.
- Subjects in level 1 or higher, not less than 20 credits.
English for Speaker of other Languages (ESOL) will be considered as 1 subject; applicants
must submit NCEA level 2 certificate, Record of Achievement, Level confirmation letter,
list of subjects and number of credits for each subject from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
- Applicants who submit International Baccalaureate (IB) Certificate must have IB Diploma, in which the total score from 5 subjects groups plus 1 free elective subject is not less than24 points and they have passed the Extended Essay (EE), Theory of Knowledge (TOK) and
Creativity, Action & Service (CAS) evaluation, in accordance with the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) criteria and have obtained the minimum grade of 4 in at least 5 non-duplicate subjects or have an IB Diploma Course Results (IBCR) with at least 5 non-duplicate subjects, where the grade of each subject is not less than 2 (equivalent to 60% of GPA or 2 or higher in each subject).
- Applicantsfrom the Chinese High School System must have their results in their fieldstudy (Arts / Sciences) for at least 4 semesters, with a minimum average score of 60 out100 or 90 out of 150 and the full score for each subject must be shown in the transcript.
- Applicants from the Myanmar Matriculation System must have aMatriculationExamination Pass Certificate and “O” Level Pass Certificate orMatriculationExamination Pass Certificate and transcripts of the first academic year in an undergraduatedegree or diploma from an acknowledged university.
- 3.3 Additional Requirements
3.3.1 Students who have graduated from or are studying in Mattayom Suksa 6 in the Thai educational system (as per 3.1), who apply for
- Software Engineering must have Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics with
a minimum CGPA of 2.50 out of 4.00 in each subject.
3.3.2 Students who submit a Standard Certification Equivalency (as per 3.2) who apply for
- Software Engineering must have Mathematics and one of following subjects: Physics or Chemistry or Biology in their transcript or it is listed in a standards test (e.g. SAT Subject Tests, IGCSE).
- Modern Management and Information Technology and Animation and Game must have Mathematics in their transcript or it is listed in a standardized test (e.g. SAT Subject Tests, IGCSE).
3.4 Specialized subjects examination for each program
- 3.4.1 For applicants in Track 1:Applicants who are able to take the internal examination for specialized subjects and the CMU- English placement test, must take specialized subject tests based on their applied program as follows:
|Software Engineering||Software Engineering Aptitude Test||Mathematics|
|Modern Management and Information Technology||Modern Management and Information Technology Aptitude Test||Mathematics|
|Animation and Game||Animation and Game Aptitude Test||Mathematics|
- 3.4.2 For applicants in Track 2 : Applicants who are unable to take the internal examination for specialized subjects and the CMU-English placement test but can provide results of their EnglishLanguage Certificates (see item 2 above) and standardized examinations of specialized subjects in accordance to their applied programas follows:
- Software Engineering must submit:
- An OldSAT (Mathematics, Critical Reading andWriting) a New SAT (Mathematics and Evidence-BasedReading and Writing)and
- SAT Subject Testsin Mathematics Level II and
- SAT Subject Testsin one of the following subjects:
Physics or Chemistry or Biology.
- Animation and Game and Modern Management and Information Technology must submit:
- An OldSAT (Mathematics, Critical Reading andWriting) a New SAT (Mathematics and Evidence-BasedReading and Writing)and
- SAT Subject Testsin Mathematics Level II
4. TEST CENTERS
Applicants must select one of the following test centers during their online application.
4.1) Chiang Mai University, Thailand for all Intakes.
4.2) Kunming, Yunnan, China for the 2nd and 3rd Intakes.
4.3) Mae Sot Test center, Tak province, Thailand for the 4th Intake.
Note: the examination location and room will be listed in the announcement of qualified applicants.
5. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
All applicants must complete the online application form and are required to submit clear
and readable scanned documents (each file size not over 1 MB) as follows:
5.1) A scanned copy of high school graduation certificate/diploma for Matayom Suksa 6, or Grade 12 or Equivalent, Thai or English, or its foreign equivalent. (If not in English, please submit the original document with an official English translation).
5.2) A verification letter of current student status (if studying).
5.3) A scanned copy of official high school transcript, Thai or English, or its foreign equivalent.
5.4) An Official Certificate of English Language ability (if any).
5.5) For Thai citizens: a scanned copy of the Thai National I.D. Card.
For non-Thai citizens: a scanned copy of Passport (recommended for a quick visa process) or a scanned copy of the National I.D. card with official English translation.
5.6) Health certificate, Thai or English, issued within the last 6 months.
5.7) 2x2 inches, full-face, formal photograph taken within the last 6 months (in jpg format).
Important Remarks : If any documents submitted are found to be fraudulent, applicants will automatically be disqualified
6. APPLICATION FEES AND PAYMENTS
6.1) Application Fee (Non-refundable): Baht 1,200
- For applicants in Track 1 who select the Test Center in Thailand.
- For applicants in Track 2.
- 6.2) Application Fee (Non-refundable): Baht 2,500
- For applicants in Track 1 who select the Test Center in China.
6.3) English Placement Test Fee (Non-refundable): Baht 400
- For applicants in Track 1 who do not have an English Language Certificate.
6.4) Payment Methods: Chiang Mai University must receive the fee(s) in full in order for the application to be processed.
Applicant is responsible for all related fees incurred on both the sender and receiver account.
Applicants may choose to make a payment choosing from one of the following means:
- By Credit Card: Applicant can input their credit card details at the end of the online application process. (Note: Processing fee and other related fees will be charged)
- By Bank Transfer:Applicant can pay their fee(s) by bank transfer to :
Account Name: Registration Office (IPAS)
Account No.: 319-1-40684-2
Bank Name: Bank of Ayudhya Public Company Limited
Branch: MAYA Department Store
SWIFT Code: AYUDTHBK
7. TUITION FEES PER SEMESTER
|Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering||40,000||40,000|
|Bachelor of Science in Modern Management and Information Technology||33,000||33,000|
|Bachelor of Science in Animation and Game||35,000||35,000|
8. EXAMINATION RULES
- 8.1) All candidates must show their Thai I.D. card or passport or national I.D. card with official English translation on the examination date. Otherwise, they will not be allowed to take the examination.
- 8.2) Candidates who arrive at the examination room later than 15 minutes after the start time will not be allowed to sit the examination.
- 8.3)Candidates are only allowed to bring their I.D. card or passport or national I.D. card with official English translation and writing utensils into the examination room.
Remarks: Candidates must strictly follow the examination rules. If a candidate has been found cheating in any way, CMU wholly reserves the right to disqualify such a candidate.
9. NUMBER OF ACCEPTING STUDENTS
(FIRST SEMESTER ONLY)
1) Animation and Game 30 students
2) Modern Management and Information Technology 30 students
3) Software Engineering 30 students
10. HEALTH INSURRANCE AGREEMENT
Successful international applicants are mandated to carry health insurance at all times during their studies at Chiang Mai University. This insurance can be purchased upon arrival at each faculty. Those applicants who already obtained international insurance from their home country need to present the official insurance policy covering accident and illness for this exemption.
11. SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS
Successful applicants must submit Official Results Certificate/Transcript and Graduation or Diploma Certificate of high school or those that are equivalent to Thailand’s High Diploma (listed in 3.2) during registration days, July 23-26, 2019. The University reserves the right to expel students who are unable to produce the original documents provided at application or the official Certificate/Transcript/Result slips.